Goods for newborns
Choosing a highchair for feeding
The assortment of highchairs in stores is huge. In order to choose the best option, it makes sense for parents to get acquainted with the model range before the time for crumbs to change for a common table.
Ekaterina Belova Goods expert, Moscow
As a rule, parents are thinking about buying a highchair when the baby turns 6 months old. By this time, he had already learned to sit, and in his diet gradually appear a variety of purees, curds and kashki. Mom becomes uncomfortable to feed the crumbs in her lap, so the highchair will greatly facilitate her life. However, modern high chairs for feeding can be useful to parents long before the moment when the baby begins to make the first attempts to eat with a spoon.
Chairs for feeding for those who do not sit
The smaller the child, the more "advanced" in terms of options the chair will need. Multifunctional high chairs for feeding - just what you need! They mutate and grow with the baby. Here are three main stages of their "growing up":
- from 0 to 6 months the chair is used in the supine position and reclining as a chaise or a swing (some models have this function);
- from 6 to 12-18 months - as a multi-position stool with a removable table for feeding and playing;
- from 1.5 to 3 years - as a children's chair, without a table (at the time of feeding, it moves to the table for adults).
For the youngest are intended only those highchairs in which can comfortably accommodate infants who do not know how to sit. For this is a comfortable adjustable seat that can be moved from the "sitting" position to the "lying" position. The received bed should be as much as possible horizontal. This should be paid special attention, since the adjustable backrest is claimed in many models of high chairs, but not in all cases it reclines so much that you can put the baby in a chair. A characteristic detail of infant chairs is a special soft-elastic insert in the armchair, which reduces and aligns the inner space of the chair.
Important nuance - the ability to fix the angle of the seat in several positions. This will allow, as the child grows, to raise the seat for a better view, games, and then for feeding. And even when the baby already learns to sit himself, the adjustable backrest is still relevant: after lunch, children under the age of often fall asleep right in the chair for feeding. But my mother will not have to disturb the baby once again to put him in bed. It is enough to move the seat accurately to the "lying" or "reclining" position. Adjusting the backrest to the position of "sleep" and "rest" should be smooth and noiseless. It is advisable to check how this works, right in the store, even before the purchase.
Due to the wheels built into the legs, the chair becomes mobile. Mom can easily carry the crumb from the room to the kitchen and back. It is more convenient, if the wheels are self-orientated - to maneuver between the furniture, it will be easier to pass through the door to the door. Blocks on wheels, lowered to the "stop" position, will make it stationary, when necessary.
Of course, in the first 5-6 months a multi-purpose highchair will not be used for feeding the child. While he will "work" in the mode of a chaise longue, a swing, a home stroller.
Chairs for feeding: timeless classics
If the child is already confidently sitting, the choice of chairs for him becomes much wider.
Picking up a chair for the kitchen, mothers often prefer a classic model - high, light and not bulky. In them there is nothing superfluous: high legs, a seat with a back, a protective guard or seat belts - everything! The chair for feeding is not adjustable in height, it does not have wheels and can not even be completed with a table top - it is assumed that the baby will immediately eat at a common table. In the model range are presented both classic wooden chairs, and made of metal and plastic.
If there are not enough places in the kitchen and the highchair standing at the table has to be constantly removed, take a look at the folding models. When everything is ready for feeding, put the high chair and put the baby in it. Attention! Before placing the child, make sure that the lock is locked.
The highchair raises the baby high enough from the floor, and therefore its design should be strong and resistant to overturning. For this, there is a strong base, widely spaced legs with anti-slip rubberized pads.
Chairs for feeding: compact and mobile
Often the square meters of the kitchen do not allow to accommodate a high chair. In this case, pay attention to folding portable models weighing not more than 3.5 kg.
The outboard chair is a child seat, which is fastened to the dining table by clips (the latter should be strong and stable at the same time!). Rubber anti-slip lining on the clamps of the chair will provide a reliable coupling with the surface of the table. With such a stool, a hard seat base and backrest, a comfortable upholstery that can be removed for washing, there is protection from falling out and adjustable 3- or 5-point seat belts. During feeding, Mom will use a pocket on the upholstery of the seat - you can put napkins, a breastplate or a toy in it. But such a chair can not be used if the child's weight is more than 15 kg.
The booster chair is a child seat with a high backrest, armrests and a soft liner. The booster chair is fixed with fastening straps on an ordinary chair. With one belt, he is fastened to the back, the other to the chair seat, and raises the baby to the desired height relative to the table. The chair is recommended to be installed only on a stable chair, having a high back, an even hard seat. To ensure safe use of the chair, it is necessary to regularly check the reliability of the fastening straps.
The booster is designed for children aged 6-8 months (already able to sit) and up to 3-4 years. However, some models have weight limits of up to 15 kg.
Individual models have from 2 to 4 levels of installation. There is also a removable tray-table, internal child-restraining belts and a T-shaped front guard against falling out.
Regardless of which model you choose, the purchase can be considered successful if the chair is long, convenient and safe for the child. Well, once for dinner everything is ready, then a pleasant appetite, baby!
Adjustable on our own
Multifunctional chairs for feeding can provide many useful features:
- The seat is comfortable and spacious, with a pleasant to the touch coating. It is convenient if the upholstery is easy to clean or can be removed and washed.
- Removable adjustable table - fixed in several positions: closer or further from the child. Pushing aside the table, the baby is conveniently placed in the stool and taken out of it. If necessary, the table is removed.
- Adjustable footrest - adjusts for the growth of the child. When he lies in a chair, the step is raised so that his legs do not hang. The baby has grown - you need to lower the step.
- Adjustable seat height (from 2 to 10 positions) - you can set it in the position that is needed at the moment. But you can not change the height of the chair with the child sitting inside -
- it is dangerous! After setting the desired level, you need to make sure that the seat is locked.
- Hold belts are responsible for the safety of the child sitting or lying in the chair. They are adjustable in length and height of the installation. Usually in the chairs used waist, 3-point belt (waist with an inguinal strap) or 5-point (fixes the crumb over the shoulders, waist and between the legs).
- A protective role is also played by a safety rail, a table top and a rigid dividing crossbar between the legs. All this arsenal of special equipment will not let the crumb slip down.