In the first 1-2 months of his life, the newborn's daily routine consists of only three basic functions: sleep, bowel movements, food. During the day the baby can wake up every 30 minutes for a meal, then back to sleep and emptied in a dream.
In the first 6 weeks of extrauterine life, the child's chair is marked quite often, and after the expiration of this period, it becomes less and less common. But, in spite of the amount of feces, the parents of the newborn need to closely monitor the quality of the feces of the child. The normal consistency of the feces of a baby is considered to be a mushy state, and in its color the norm is a brown or light yellow hue.
The stomach of the newborn is not able to work without "surprises", since it does not have enough of the necessary enzymes. Parents of the baby must always pay attention to too watery discharge, fragments of food in the stool, foamy excreta, mucus, blood, and if you have these signs, you should check the child's well-being and this chair is accompanied by other additional symptoms. Foamy stools in themselves do not have any serious consequences (if it occurs irregularly), but if this bowel movement is accompanied by an unpleasant smell, it happens constantly, and the color of the stool is dark green, then it is necessary to consult a pediatrician for advice.
When you should not be afraid of a foamy chair
As noted above, a foamy bowel movement is usually not a symptom of any disease. This can be due to the adaptation and improvement of the intestines of the child.
Also, a frothy stool can become a reaction of the baby's organism to the use of a new product or a change in the mother's diet. To correct this situation, you just need to adjust the power.
If the child eats artificial mixtures, then foamy excrement can say that this mixture does not fit his body. When breastfeeding, foam in the feces or its watery consistency may appear even after drinking ordinary water or a dummy.
Most modern pediatricians believe that the best option for the development of the newborn is considered to be breastfeeding the first 6 months of life, and without the use of any complementary foods. But in this case, frothy stools can arise due to mother's milk, as mentioned above, and you just need to find the product that leads to this circumstance. The best choice is keeping a food diary and if you have not previously led it, then it's time to start. After the introduction of complementary foods in the food diary, you can also write down the foods that you enter into the lure.
Imbalance of breast milk
Breast milk is conditionally divided into the back and front. So in the first case milk fulfills the function of saturation of the baby, and in the second one is drinking. The composition of the front milk includes a rich amount of all kinds of minerals and vitamins, as well as the carbohydrate, lactose, which is very necessary for the baby. To digest this substance, you need the action of the enzyme lactase, which in some quantity is produced independently by the infant organism. Unfortunately, for lactose digestion, the reproducible lactase is extremely inadequate, so the amount of enzyme that is lacking in the infant's body is replenished with the rear milk. However, sometimes a newborn does not get to the rear milk, being saturated only with the front.
Experts call this phenomenon differently: lactase insufficiency, imbalance of breast milk, nutritional deficiency. As a result, the baby is poorly saturated, and lactose can not be digested by the body in the right amount, and the consequence may be indigestion, colic, bloating and foamy excrement. So if a chair with a foam content is accompanied by an acidic odor, it is a symptom of lactase deficiency, and with a dark shade of feces - the baby does not gorge. To clarify these reasons, it is enough to pass on the analysis of the carbohydrate content of the feces of the baby. As a rule, lactase deficiency passes to the 2nd month of the child's life. If these disorders do not pass, then the diet of the baby should be reconsidered, or an additional injection of lactase should be used.
Other causes of foamy stools
If the foamy excrements are accompanied by mucus or other anxiety signs, then this phenomenon can be caused by the following reasons:
- Food allergy. Feeding a child with these or other products (in addition to breast milk) can cause an allergic reaction, one of the symptoms of which is a foamy bowel movement. Most often it is caused by the use of cow's milk;
- Staphylococcus aureus. Foamy stools can be observed as one of the symptoms of staphylococcus, only with the remaining manifestations of this infection;
- Enzyme insufficiency. This disorder occurs due to a deficiency in the body of the infant following enzymes: isomaltase, sucrose, etc. This phenomenon is caused quite rarely and occurs due to introduction of new products into the child's diet;
- Dysbacteriosis. Most modern pediatricians tend to believe that a frothy stool (a sharp odor, a greenish hue) can be caused by a dysbacteriosis. In this case, liquid bowel movements can be replaced by constipation, and feces can be observed in the stool;
- Medicines. If the nursing mother accepts any medication or applies it to treat the child;
- Intestinal infection. In this situation, foamy excrements occur at least 10 times a day and necessarily occur in a liquid form. Sometimes blood stools can be observed in the feces of the child, and the course of the infection itself is often accompanied by an increase in temperature.
It must be remembered that very often the foamy stool of the newborn disappears as well as it appears and if you have discovered this phenomenon in the child, then do not panic immediately. If such bowel movements are accompanied by other symptoms, you should immediately consult your pediatrician to find out the cause and its remedy. Also, try to carefully monitor your own diet and foods that the child uses.