Everyone knows that any serious matter requires preparation. The birth of a child is exactly the same case, experts say.
Alas, there is no state program for preparing for childbirth, and future mothers are left to themselves in this matter. But the range of services that private institutions provide to pregnant women (centers of parental culture, clinics and fitness clubs) is impressive, and every future mother will be able to find a program to taste. You can choose between a traditional and an alternative approach to training, and then you will only have to find a school whose program is based on one of these principles. Do not forget to ask if the institution has a license for this type of activity.
So, if you are aiming to equip yourself with knowledge about what is happening to you and your baby during the 9 months of pregnancy and several hours of childbirth, be patient and study all the suggestions carefully. Having decided, discuss your choice with a doctor, he will tell you what you can do, and with what to be more careful. Perhaps the doctor will advise you which school is best to attend. If you liked several techniques, still try to choose one, otherwise the abundance of teachers and information can confuse you. And consider your interests. For example, a future mother who aspires to receive as much practical advice as possible will soon be approached by preparatory classes under the guidance of a obstetrician. For those who like to improve their body and go in for sports, it is better to go to a fitness club.
Note! In large fitness clubs for several years there are special programs for expectant mothers. Professional trainers will help you prepare the body for pregnancy and childbirth tests. Classes are held both in the hall and in the pool.
NOTE! Whichever method you like, it must necessarily include exercises for training the muscles of the pelvis and breathing. And now let's see what we have to choose from.Tradition of training
They are based on the method of psycho-preventive training, which was proposed in 1950 by Soviet scientists IZ Velvovsky and KI Platonov. Previously, these sessions were conducted in every women's consultation, and all future mothers had to attend them. Unfortunately, since the mid 80's they are no longer practiced. The essence of the method is to help a pregnant woman get rid of fear of labor pains and childbirth and teach her to participate actively in them. Its creators reasoned like this: too often the idea of the birth of a child is associated with a woman with suffering, so during childbirth, she can be anxious and tense. Fear leads to the release of the adrenaline hormone into the bloodstream, which weakens the labor activity, while the knowledge gained in the classes can help the expectant mother to perceive the forthcoming births not so dramatically, and therefore nothing will prevent the development of the hormone of joy in her organism - endorphin , improving labor activity and an anesthetic delivery.
If you want to use the services of private preparatory centers, do not forget to ask if they have a license.
Later, in 1970, this technique was improved by the French midwife Fernan Lamaz, who suggested including respiratory and relaxation exercises in the program.
Theoretical part. So, the creators of the method were sure that the future mother will feel much more confident and calm during childbirth if she understands what is happening to her. That is why the theoretical training course includes a detailed account of the course of pregnancy and childbirth.
Practical part. It consists of three elements: teaching the basics of proper breathing, relaxation and methods of anesthesia. Let's move on to the details.
1. To birth of a baby did not slow down and he did not suffer from a lack of oxygen, pregnant women are taught to breathe correctly during childbirth.And what about the future dad?
If the father of your baby wants to go with you all the stages of pregnancy and attend childbirth, you can go to classes together. The future dad must learn to master the methods of anesthesia, the basics of proper breathing and relaxation. But the desire to be together during childbirth should be mutual, so if your husband refuses, do not insist, respect his choice. Keep in mind that there are few dads in the class, and because of this they may feel uncomfortable, and women in their presence tend to feel stiff.
The first period of childbirth
- The contraction is approaching (the woman feels the tension of the uterus), and one must breathe deeply, making full breaths and exhalations (full breathing).
- The fight started (the future mother feels pain and tension of the uterus). Now you need to breathe superficially (the frequency of breathing should be half the usual). As the fight intensifies, the frequency of breathing increases: breathe rhythmically and rapidly, about 2 times more often than usual. Try to keep your mouth open and balance the strength of your breathing with the strength of the bout.
- When the fight reaches its peak, take 4 breaths, then calmly exhale (breathing with a delay).
- At the end of the fight, take a full breath (belly and chest), slowly exhale to the end, straining your stomach (full breath).
- Between the contractions you need to relax and breathe, as usual.
- At the end of the first period of childbirth, when a woman has a desire to push, but it's too early to do, it's worth opening your mouth and breathing often and superficially (like a dog).
The second period of childbirth
- With the beginning of the attempt, take a deep breath through the nose to maximally lower the diaphragm, which will press on the uterus from above (chest breathing). Then gently release the air. And so 3 times during one attempt. When it passes, breathe deeply and calmly.
- During the birth of the baby's head, the midwife will ask you not to push. To do this, open your mouth and breathe often and superficially (like a dog).
2. In the intervals between contractions, the expectant mother should be able to relax in order to regain strength. Relaxation trainings are conducted as follows: under calm music, the instructor pronounces a text that helps a woman calm down. Then, during childbirth, she will relax, remembering these words and repeating them in the first person.
Pregnant women are taught to use methods of anesthesia of contractions, which consist in the following:
Aromatherapy. Than essential oils can help future mothers? The instructor will tell you about it. For example, lavender, rose and chamomile soothe during labor, and muscatine sage, on the contrary, strengthens them, relieving stress and tension. Just be careful, aromatherapy is contraindicated to allergies.
- lying on your back, stroke your belly with the tips of the fingers of both hands in the rhythm of inspiration and exhalation (start from below under your stomach, then smoothly and slowly move up the sides);
- squeeze your hands into fists and "lay" them under your waist (during the fight, press your fists into the area of the lumbosacral rhombus);
- lying on your back, press with your thumbs on the area of anterior-upper protrusions of the iliac bones on the right and left.
If you find that you will have enough classes for such a program, choose the training centers that base their work on the traditional method.And here is an alternative
The training programs offered by centers of parental culture are based on the Velvovsky-Platonov method, but are supplemented with new elements. Despite the fact that these centers work under different programs, they have one goal: to prepare a future mother for a conscious birth. What do they offer yet?
Choral singing. Did this name make you smile? Do not be surprised, while singing, future mothers learn to breathe properly. In addition, singing helps to relax the lips, which are known to be reflexively associated with the cervix. Clamped in the labia, the lips cause a spasm of the cervix, and it can not open. During pregnancy, the range of vocal abilities expands (due to the increase in the volume of the chest), and you can extract such low sounds, which previously could not have dreamed. By the way, low sounds are accompanied by the release of the hormone endorphin, which reduces pain.
Vocal-respiratory practices. Such exercises help future mothers to behave liberally in childbirth: women intuitively make those movements that facilitate childbirth and reduce pain. In addition, this method reduces discomfort (in response to pain, a woman deeply and sounded breathes, increasing depth and sound depending on the intensity of pain) and facilitates the production of oxytocin, a hormone that increases uterine contractions. The instructor, with whom the woman was engaged during pregnancy, can be present at childbirth, helping her ward advice.
Psychological preparation. Recently, psychologists have joined the preparation of expectant mothers for childbirth. They help to cope with doubts and fears, which are often visited by pregnant women.
For several years, a new direction has been developed in Russia - prenatal education, that is, the upbringing of the baby before birth. These classes are conducted by psychologists who are looking at an unborn baby as an independent personality, whose mental and physical qualities are laid even before the birth. I must say that scientists have received many confirmations of this idea. With the help of such research methods as ultrasound, fetal ECG, film and photography inside the womb, they found out that the kids really live their lives: they breathe, swallow, hiccup, cry, from the 10th week they frown from the bright light, from 16 weeks - react to sounds, from 15 weeks - to a sweet, sour and bitter taste. By the 28th week, the formation of the brain structures of babies is coming to an end.
The choice of a school of preparation is worth puzzling in advance to calmly study all the opportunities presented and not to rush into the decision.
Swimming. Very useful for future mothers in the pool. Being in the water, the pregnant woman does not feel the weight of her own body, so she can perform movements that would be hard for her on land. And immersion in water with a delay in breathing helps to work out the types of breathing that should be used during childbirth. Future moms do exercises to strengthen the muscles of the back, small pelvis, perineum and learn to relax. Classes are usually held in a special pool, the water temperature in which is 24-26 ° C, and lasts no more than 40 minutes. Before the beginning of the lesson you must drink.
Sauna. Visiting the sauna hardens, removes slag, improves metabolic processes, raises the mood. True, not all future mothers can go there. If your doctor does not mind, do not deny yourself this pleasure, just follow a few rules.
- The temperature in the sauna should be less than 100 ° C.
- First, go inside for 1-2 minutes, and then gradually increase the time spent in the sauna to 5-10 minutes - this is your maximum. In between visits, rest at least 10-15 minutes. By the way, it is not recommended for future mothers to enter the sauna more than 2-3 times.
- During the rest do not forget to replenish the fluid in the body.
- Do not climb the top shelf.
- Staying in the sauna should not cause a rise in temperature. If you feel that this is happening, go out to cool down in the shower and relax.
- After the sauna you can swim in the pool with cool water.
Gymnastics. The special program includes breathing and relaxing exercises for different muscle groups (especially training pelvic floor muscles). In addition to the advantages of regular gymnastics, the complex for expectant mothers has one more thing: it helps a woman to realize those parts of her body that participate in childbirth.
Yoga. With the help of yoga you will learn to relax, breathe properly and can feel your body. Yoga postures strengthen the muscles of the back, small pelvis and perineum.